Children's Hospital Foundation works in support of the region’s only full-service children’s hospital, Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU, and the more than 60,000 children it serves each year. Based in Richmond, Virginia, Children's Hospital Foundation has been dedicated for more than 95 years to fund and advocate for pediatric initiatives that improve the status of health care and quality of life for children. We believe there is no greater cause than taking care of the health care needs of children.
Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU (CHoR) is Central Virginia's only comprehensive, full-service children's hospital. As Central Virginia's first Level 1 pediatric trauma center, CHoR offers a wide range of children's health services, including pediatric emergency services, primary care, specialty and subspecialty care, burn, trauma, transplant and long-term care. With more than 15 locations across Central Virginia, CHoR provides pediatric inpatient and outpatient services that cover nearly all children's health-related needs.
As part of VCU Health, CHoR is committed to ensuring access to care for all children, training future pediatric caregivers and making new discoveries that improve understanding and treatment of childhood diseases.
We support many programs and services at Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU.
We are the local beneficiary of national Children's Miracle Network Hospitals fundraising campaigns.
In 1917, Dr. William Tate Graham, Virginia's first orthopaedic surgeon, opened a free clinic in the basement of his office on East Franklin Street. Many children, most of whom were victims of the polio epidemic, were brought to the clinic for care. By 1928, the clinic had grown into a new hospital, operating under the name Crippled Children's Hospital, that was funded by a generous bequest of $500,000 from Sallie May Dooley.
An Expanding Mission
By 1980, the hospital had grown from its roots as a free hospital for children with orthopaedic problems into a multi-specialty hospital open to all children. The name was changed to Children's Hospital to better reflect the services offered, and the hospital continued to grow over the following years, including the addition of a new inpatient unit for children in need of long-term care.
Creating a Full-Service Hospital
On June 30, 2010 Children’s Hospital and VCU Children’s Medical Center combined operations to become a full-service hospital under the name Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU (CHoR). At the same time, Children’s Hospital Foundation became an independent foundation dedicated to raising funds to support and advocate for pediatric initiatives at CHoR.
At the center of our logo is an interpretation of the Andrea della Robbia image of a swaddled infant with welcoming arms. For many years, this image has symbolized the compassionate care extended to so many through the hospital and supported by our Foundation. The legacy of the della Robbia’s “open arms extended to those in need” lives on and reminds us of our mission to this day.